Dieting has been our constant companion throughout the years and we have deluded ourselves into believing its reach was benevolent. We befriended the enemy and ate for comfort. We thought it was working but now we know better.
Dieting is our frenemy, the mean girls and manipulative bitches that draw us in for their own benefit and then put us down.
Dieting is the bully that makes us feel horrible about ourselves as it takes our money. We so want to be part of the group that we turn ourselves inside out, doing whatever it
takes to be accepted. Yet we will never be one of them and will continue to feel miserable and unloved.
Diet culture feeds on making us feel bad about ourselves and not worthy of being loved
as we are.
Misery loves company.
Those trying to sell us a new diet plan or diet product are sometimes just as lost and confused as we are. It’s hard to admit we were wrong when we thought dieting held the answer to all of life’s problems.
Regardless of their motivation, diet sales too often revert to mean girl tactics for the sake of
what they can get out of us: time, attention and money. Product success requires us to keep coming back over and over again for more.
The pitch serves to keep us thinking we must lose that extra weight, have a “perfect” figure or look like the models on Instagram (who, by the way, don’t look like that either).
Why reject diet mentality?
Follow the money. There is a reason the diet industry is called an industry. In 2018 it was worth $190 BILLION USD worldwide. Yes, you read that right $190 BILLION and of that
$72 BILLION in the USA alone.
Evidence shows it doesn’t work. Only 5% of people succeed in keeping the weight off for a reasonable period of time, and the other 95% weight cycle with increasingly worsening health and higher weights. Studies now show that obesity is the result of yo-yo dieting and that obesity related diseases come from the stress to body, mind and spirit of behaving counter to our biology.
Listening to the mean girls, the diet gurus and living by their rules has gotten us nowhere. Its
convinced us that we are failures, a waste of space and hopeless.
Don’t let them suck you back in. Don’t listen to the false promises. Take back your power, kick the judgmental voices to the curb and find freedom as you reject the diet mentality and listen to your own soul.
Intuitive Eating Coach